Ever since I had my son, my house has not been as clean as it used to be. It’s a huge adjustment having a child and learning how to keep your home clean at the same time. As I sit here and write these blog posts on spring cleaning, I am doing this in my home. Room by room I am looking at what I have allowed into my cabinets, throwing out the stuff that is harmful, and making a few of these DIY recipes myself!
Today we are going to take a trip into our bathrooms. Arguably probably one of our least favorite rooms to clean in our home, this one has some really strong toxic and corrosive chemicals that are often found lurking in your products.
One of the first chemicals to look out for in your bathroom is bleach! Household bleach (sodium hydroxide) is not, technically speaking, considered corrosive or toxic, even if ingested. However, bleach exposure can cause irritation in the eyes, mouth, lungs and on skin. Individuals with asthma or other breathing problems are particularly susceptible. It can burn human tissue, internally or externally, especially in small children. Bleach manufacturing also produces dioxin, a chemical that is harmful to the environment. Dioxins are known as “persistent organic pollutants” because they linger in the water or soil and take many years to disappear. Many countries have banned chlorine bleach or restricted its use in an effort to protect the environment and human health. Greenpeace calls dioxin one of the most dangerous chemicals known to science, and warns that it can contribute to cancer, endocrine disorders and other serious health effects. Factories that rely on chlorine bleach also emit toxins into the air during the ventilation and exhaust processes. Some chlorine and related by-products remain in the air, where they contribute to air pollution.
Bon Ami Powder Cleanser
ECOS Creamy Cleanser
Or, you can always make your own and keep it on hand in EVERY room of the house!
NOW … what about that toilet … ?
Most common toilet bowel cleaners use a combination of chlorine and acids, which causes toxic chlorine gas. With chlorine we have so many avenues of exposure. You’re getting exposed through fumes and possibly through skin when you clean with it, but because it’s also in city water to get rid of bacteria, you’re also getting exposed when you take a shower or bath. The health risks from chlorine can be acute, and they can be chronic; it’s a respiratory irritant at an acute level. But the chronic effects are what people don’t realize: it may be a serious thyroid disrupter.
Bon Ami Powder Cleanser
Ecover Toilet Cleaner
Here is a great DIY Toilet Cleaning Method by TrashIsForTossers.com that you can use as a natural alternative to the nasty stuff.
Spray toilet with vinegar (including top of toilet, seat, stand) and let it sit for some time, 20-30 minutes. Put some castile soap in the toilet water (or sprinkle Bon Ami) and use your toilet brush to clean it out. Next, use a damp, folded towel to wipe top of toilet, then use the other side to wipe down the toilet stand, fold towel and repeat process for the seat.
So, let’s all get to cleaning our bathrooms … we will feel really good when it’s done!
See you next week on the blog!